With more than 25 years experience in strategy, organizational development and marketing with law firms throughout the United States, Merrilyn Astin Tarlton now consults with lawyers and law firm management teams on their various roles as leaders and business people. She has been an Adjunct Professor at the University of Denver Strum College of Law and has lectured at the University of Colorado College of Law.
Merrilyn has held a variety of senior positions with the American Bar Association Law Practice Management Section including Director of Planning, Director of Marketing and Chairman of the Education Board. As the first Chair of the ABA’s Beyond the Breaking Point Task Force, she is often quoted in national, international and local media regarding lawyer stress, quality of life, career satisfaction and professional development for lawyers. Her recent work has focused on trends impacting the future of the profession, creating and managing change in law firms, business innovation and strategy. In late 2010, Merrilyn launched Attorney at Work in collaboration with Feldcomm.
Merrilyn was a founder and early President of the Legal Marketing Association and, in 2007 was inducted into the inaugural class of the LMA Hall of Fame. Inducted as a Fellow in the international College of Law Practice Management in 1996, Merrilyn recently served as President of the Board of Trustees for three years.
- Judge, InnovAction Awards, 2004 – 2011
- Editor-in-chief, Law Practice magazine, American Bar Association 1998 – 2007
- Adjunct Professor, Master of Science in Legal Administration, University of Denver Sturm College of Law
- Speaker, Law Office Management/Marketing intersession course, University of Colorado Law School
- Adjunct Faculty, Leadership & Merging Law Firm Leadership, Center for Creative Leadership 1996 – 1998
- Chief Marketing Officer, Jacobs Chase, 2005 – 2007
- Director of Practice Development, Holme Roberts & Owen LLP 1992 – 1994
- Business Development Director, Holland & Hart LLC 1984 – 1992